Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Whole Big Cake

Yesterday I was teaching 6 year olds how to say “I can _____.” I can speak English, I can dance, I can sing, etc.

I asked the question, “What can you do?” This one kid raises his hand and says, “I can a whole big cake.” I was super confused and I didn’t hear him very well and asked him to repeat it. He repeated the same sentence. “I can a whole big cake.” Clearly, he wasn’t grasping the concept of “can”.

Later, I was also teaching some vocabulary. Words like “ball”, “doll”, “bicycle”, etc. I showed a flashcard of a doll and asked what it was. The same kid raised his hand and said, “A whole big cake.”

I think that boy must have learned that new phrase and was just DYING to use it, so he did… As much as possible. It was pretty funny, but I had to go back and re-clarify a few things to make sure that mistake wasn’t made again.

Until next time,
Jeremy, Jenny, Levi, & Liam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments and questions here!