Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Old Friends and an English Tutor

We had a great meal with some friends we made from our last trip here to China.

They took us out to a nice restaurant which serves strictly local dishes. It was pretty good! We had a spicy fish soup as well as some garlic cucumber, some pumpkin strips with a sweet breading (Levi ate a TON of those) and some shrimp and octopus soup. We caught up and discussed what's been going on with our families since we've been away.

Their daughter is in her teens and has been learning English since she was five or six years old. She has been doing especially well on her written tests, but not so well on her speaking tests. It just so happens that I specialize in speaking English! :) I offered to tutor her, to which they were wondering how much I charge. Thinking back on our relationship, Jenny and I thought it'd be best to tutor her for one hour per week, free of charge. The father said 我非常感谢 which means, "I'm so incredibly grateful." I was so happy that by helping out some friends for one hour of my week, I was able to bless them in that way.

They'll be stopping by starting this Saturday the 6th, which also happens to be my (Jeremy) birthday :) We'll be keeping you posted on her progress and how that all goes. I'd like to tutor a few more people if I can, but we'll just see which opportunities present themselves.

Until next time,
Jeremy, Jenny, Levi, & Liam